In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newhall like this:
NEWHALL, a village and a chapelry in Stapenhill parish, Derby. The village stands near Swadlincote r.station, 1½ mile N W of the boundary with Leicester, and 3½ S E of Burton-upon-Trent; and has a post-office under Burton-upon-Trent. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 2, 246. Houses, 450. There are collieries, an earthenware manufactory, and brick-fields. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £162.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is modern; was built at a cost of £7,000; is a brick edifice, in the pointed style; and has a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and an infant school; and the lastwas built in 1864.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newhall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Derbyshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newhall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newhall in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newhall".