Place:


New Brighton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Brighton like this:

BRIGHTON (New), a village and a chapelry in Wallasey parish, Cheshire. The village stands within Liscard township, on the coast, at the mouth of the Mersey, near the Lighthouse, 3½ miles N by W of Birkenhead. It enjoys a salubrious climate, commands fine bathing grounds, and is much frequented as a summer watering-place. ...


It has a post office‡ under Birkenhead, three good hotels, numerous lodging-houses, a marine establishment for convalescents, a life-boat station, reading rooms, assembly-rooms, a church, and a Wesleyan chapel. The church was built in 1856, at a cost of about £8,000; and is in the early English style, with a tower and spire. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1861. Pop., 2,404. Houses, 367. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £600.* Patron, the Bishop.

New Brighton through time

New Brighton is now part of Wirral district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wirral has changed over two centuries. For statistics about New Brighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Brighton, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21561

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " New Brighton ".