Place:


Lumb  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lumb like this:

LUMB, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire; adjacent to Yorkshire, at the top of Whitewell vale, numder the Cliviger hills, 2 miles N of Newchurch r. station, and 5 S of Burnley. It contains the village of Water; and it was constituted in 1846. Post town, Newchurch, under Manchester. Pop., 2,647. ...


Houses, 518. The property is subdivided. There are cotton and woollen factories, and stone quarries. The living is a Vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is in the early Norman style; consists of nave, transepts, and chancel, with a small turretted tower; and was repaired in 1857. There are a Wesleyan chapel of 1861, and Church of England, Baptist, and British schools.

Lumb through time

Lumb is now part of Rossendale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rossendale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lumb itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lumb, in Rossendale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21528

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lumb ".