In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longfleet like this:
LONGFLEET, a tything and a chapelry in CanfordMagua parish, Dorset. The tything lies averagely 1 mile NNE of Poole town and r. station; and includes part of the town and of the harbour. Post town, Poole. Acres, 1,458; of which 285 are water. Real property, £4,635. Pop. in 1851,1,287; in 1861,1,417. Houses, 288. The Poole workhouse is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 102 inmates. The manor belongs to Sir J. B. Guest, Bart. The chapelry is more extensive than the tything, and was constituted in 1836. Pop., 1,598. Houses, 317. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £85. Patron, Sir J. B. Guest, Bart. The church is recent, and was built chiefly at the expense of Lord de Mauley. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longfleet has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Poole. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longfleet and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longfleet, in Poole and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longfleet".