Place:


Langfield  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Langfield like this:

LANGFIELD, a township in Heptonstall chapelry, Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire; near the river Calder, the Rochdale canal, and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1 mile SE of Todmorden, and 10 W by S of of Halifax. Acres, 5,920. Real property, £15,484. Pop. in 1851,3,729; in 1861,4,391. ...


Houses, 890. Much of the land is moor and mountain. Mankinholes, Kilnhurst, Lower Stoodley, and Sandholme are chief residences. There are cotton spinning mills, cotton factories, sizing manufactories, and stone quarries. A monument, in commemoration of the exploits of the Duke of Wellington, was erected on Stoodley hill soon after the peace of 1815; was blown down on the eve of the commencement of the Crimean war; and has been re-erected, by subscription, at a cost of £800. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Langfield through time

Langfield is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Langfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Langfield, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21505

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Langfield ".