In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Knowl Hill like this:
KNOWL-HILL, a village in Hurley parish, and a chapelry partly also in Wargrave parish, Berks. The village stands 3 miles NE of Twyford r. station, and 4½ WSW of Maidenhead; and has a post office under Reading.The chapelry was constituted in 1842. Pop. in 1861, 850. Houses, 176. Pop. of the Hurley portion, 575. Houses, 115. Bear Place is the seat of Sir Henry Leak; and Bear Hill, Bear Ash, Linden Hill, Scarletts, Castlemans, and Ashton Villa, also are chief residences, The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Valne, £90.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1840, and has a tower and spire. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Knowl Hill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Windsor and Maidenhead. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Knowl Hill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Knowl Hill, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Knowl Hill".