Place:


Great Horwood  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Horwood like this:

HORWOOD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Winslow district, Bucks. The village stands 2 miles N by E of Winslow r. station, and 2½ NE by N of Winslow; has a post office under Winslow; and was once a markettown. The parish includes also the hamlet of Singleborough, and comprises 3, 109 acres. ...


Real property, £5, 640. Pop., 846. Houses, 197. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to New College, Oxford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £445.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is partly fine decorted English, party perpendicnlar; is in good condition; has a tower; and contains three piscinæ, a triple sedilia, a brass of 1487, and two monuments to the Barker family. There are an Independent chapel, a handsome national school, built in 1861, and charities £13 and 27 acres of land..

Great Horwood through time

Great Horwood is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Horwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Horwood, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2149

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Horwood ".