Place:


Kingsdown  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsdown like this:

KINGSDOWN, a village and a chapelry in Ringwould parish, Kent. The village stands on the coast, picturesquely under cliffs, 1½ mile SE of Walmer, and 3 S of Deal r. station; ranks as an old member of Dover Cinque port; went into decay, but has revived and is increasing; and has a coast-guard station. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1850; and its post town is Dover. Pop., 508. Houses, 95. Traces of an ancient camp, supposed to have been Roman, are in a valley here. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Canterbury. Valne, £150.*-Patrons, Trustees. The church was built and endowed in 1850 by W. Curling, Esq. There is a national school,

Kingsdown through time

Kingsdown is now part of Dover district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dover has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingsdown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsdown, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21489

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingsdown ".