In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holmwood like this:
HOLMWOOD, a tything in Dorking parish, and a chapelry in Dorking and Capel parishes, Surrey; on the Dorking and Horsham railway, 2 miles S of Dorking. They have a post office under Dorking, and a r. station. The chapelry was constituted in 1839. Pop. in 1861, 1, 211. Houses, 240. Pop. of the Dorking portion, 1, 061. Houses, 211. Holmwood common was anciently a chase of the Earls of Warrene; was noted, in holly bushes; and has pleasant and varied views. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1838; was afterwards altered and enlarged; acquired a new S aisle in 1862; and contains monuments of the Larpents and the Cazalets.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holmwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mole Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holmwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holmwood, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holmwood".