In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hollinwood like this:
HOLLINWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Rochdale canal and the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 1½ mile SSW of Oldham; is modern and large; has a post office under Manchester, and several factories; and is a seat of petty sessions. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 6, 298. Houses, 1, 289. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church is plain. There are an Independent chapel of 1866, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national-schools.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hollinwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Oldham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hollinwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hollinwood, in Oldham and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hollinwood".