Place:


Hoddlesden  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hoddlesden like this:

HODDLESDEN, a hamlet and a chapelry in Over Darwen township, Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The hamlet lies 1¾ mile E of Over Darwen town and r. station; and has an inn, a large cotton mill, a colliery, and a brick work. The chapelry includes the township of Yate and Pickup Bank, and a portion of the township of Eccleshill; and was constituted in 1862. ...


Posttown, Over Darwen, under Blackburn. Pop., 2, 250. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, about £200. Patrons, the Vicar of Blackburn and W. B. Ranken, Esq. The church was built in 1863, at a cost of about £4, 000; is in the geometrical English style; comprises nave, chancel, and N aisle, with W tower; and contains about 600 sittings. There are an Independent chapel at Pickup Bank, and national schools at Pickup Bank and Hoddlesden.

Hoddlesden through time

Hoddlesden is now part of Blackburn With Darwen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackburn With Darwen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hoddlesden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hoddlesden, in Blackburn with Darwen and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21466

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hoddlesden ".