Place:


Hirwaun  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hirwaun like this:

HIRWAIN, a village and a chapelry in Aberdare parish, Glamorgan. The village stands near the boundary with Brecon and the watershed of the Cynon, on the Vale of Neath railway at its junction with the Taff Valley railway and with the branch to Merthyr-Tydvi1, 4 miles NW of Aberdare; is a scattered but populous place, dependent on the ironworks of Messrs. ...


Crawshay; and has a railway station, called Hirwain Junction, and a post office‡ under Aberdare. The tract around it is a desolate moor, totally destitute of any pleasing feature, yet deriving an air of some grandeur from a bold sweep of mountain which bounds it. Hirwain common, or Hirwain Wrgan, was the scene of a great battle between Rhys ap Tudor and Jestyn ap Wrgan. The chapelry includes the village, but does not seem to have any definite limits; and its statistics are returned with the parish. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Aberdare, in the diocese of Llandaff.

Hirwaun through time

Hirwaun is now part of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rhondda; Cynon; Taff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hirwaun itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hirwaun, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21465

Date accessed: 16th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hirwaun ".