Place:


Datchet  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Datchet like this:

DATCHET, a parish in Eton district, Bucks; on the river Thames and on the Windsor branch of the South Western railway, 2 miles E of Windsor. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Windsor. Acres, 1, 630. Real property, £6, 086. Pop., 982. Houses, 182. The property is much subdivided. ...


Two bridges, called the Victoria and the Albert, the former a neat iron structure, give communication across the Thames. Datchet-mead was the scene of Falstaff's punishment in the " Merry Wives of Windsor. " A fishing-house of Sir H. Wotton, yearly visited by Isaak Walton, stood on the Thames at Datchet; and was succeeded by a summer-house of the painter Verrio. Anglers, from old times till the present, have loved to fish here; and Pope says, respecting Charles II.,

Methinks I see our mighty monarch stand,
The pliant rod now trembling in his hand;
And-see, he now doth up from Datchet come,
Laden with spoils of slaughter'd gudgeons home.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £145.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church was rebuilt in 1860, and is in the decorated style. There are a Baptist chapel, a library and reading room , a national school, and charities £119.

Datchet through time

Datchet is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Datchet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Datchet, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2146

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Datchet ".