Place:


Healey  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Healey like this:

HEALEY, a village and a chapelry in Spotland township, Rochdale parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles NW of Rochdale town and r. station; and has a post office under Rochdale, a cotton mill, and a flannel mill. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop., 2, 758. Houses, 560. Healey Hall belonged to the Okedens, and passed to the Chadwicks. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848; stands on a hill in the village; and is a cruciform structure, with a recently added and conspicuous spire. There is a national school.

Healey through time

Healey is now part of Rossendale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rossendale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Healey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Healey, in Rossendale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21455

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Healey ".