Place:


Hambridge  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hambridge like this:

HAMBRIDGE, a tything in Curry-Rivell parish, and a chapelry in Curry-Rivell, Barrington, Earnshill, IsleBrewers, Nidon, and West Moor parishes, Somerset. The tything lies near the river Isle, 4½ miles NW of South Petherton, and 5 miles SW of Langport r. station; and has a post office under Taunton. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 556. Houses, 117. Pop. of the Curry Rivell portion, 417. Houses, 86. The manor belongs to R. T. Combe, Esq., of Earnshill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £100.* Patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The church is in the early English style, and has a tower. There is a chapel for Bible Christians.

Hambridge through time

Hambridge is now part of South Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hambridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hambridge in South Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21447

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hambridge ".