Place:


Glyndyfrdwy  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glyndyfrdwy like this:

GLYNDWRDY, or Glyndyfrdwg, a chapelry in Corwen parish, Merioneth; on the river Dee and the Ruabon and Bala railway, 3¾ miles E of Corwen. It has a post office under Llangollen and a r. station. It became a separate charge in 1862; and was previously annexed to the vicarage of Corwen. The statistics of it are returned with the parish. ...


The property belonged to Owen Glendower; takes from that fact its name, which signifies "Glendower's country;" and passed to the Salusburys and the Vaughans. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, not reported. Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph.

Glyndyfrdwy through time

Glyndyfrdwy is now part of Denbighshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Denbighshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glyndyfrdwy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glyndyfrdwy, in Denbighshire and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21432

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glyndyfrdwy ".