Garliestown  Wigtownshire


In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Garliestown like this:

Garliestown, a small town and a bay in Sorbie parish, SW Wigtownshire. Founded about 1760, by John, seventh Earl of Galloway, then Lord Garlies, the town stands on the W shore of the bay, in the northern vicinity of Galloway House, and by the Wigtownshire branch (1875) of the Caledonian is 5 miles NNE of Whithorn, and 9¼ SSE of Wigtown. ...

It bends in the form of a crescent round the bay, and, consisting of neat substantial houses, built of whinstone, presents a pleasant appearance. Rope and sail making, ship building, fishing, and a saw-mill afford employment. A considerable commerce in the export of agricultural produce, and the import of coal, lime, manures, etc., is carried on from a harbour, which, naturally good, was artificially enlarged and improved about 1855; and Garliestown has a post office, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments, two hotels, a Congregational chapel, a public school, a bowling green, and a Good Templars' hall, with accommodation for 300 persons. By steamboat it communicates with Glasgow, Liverpool, and Douglas in the Isle of Man. Pop. (1861) 685, (1871) 683, (1881) 699.

Garliestown through time

Garliestown is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garliestown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garliestown, in Dumfries and Galloway and Wigtownshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th January 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garliestown ".