Place:


Forest Hill  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Forest Hill like this:

FOREST-HILL, a chapelry in Lewisham parish, Kent; on the London Bridge and New Croydon railway, 1 mile N of Sydenham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Sydenham, London SE. It was constituted in 1855. Rated property, £28, 527. Pop., 4, 640. Houses, 726. The property is not much divided. ...


Villas, in many styles of architecture, are numerous. Southey says, -"It is impossible not to like the villas, so much opulence and so much ornament are visible about them; but it is also impossible not to wish that the domestic architecture of England were in better taste." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £630. Patron, the Earl of Dartmouth. The church is good. An Independent chapel, at a cost of nearly £3, 500, was built in 1867.

Forest Hill through time

Forest Hill is now part of Lewisham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewisham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forest Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forest Hill, in Lewisham and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21418

Date accessed: 23rd September 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forest Hill ".