Place:


Farley  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farley like this:

FARLEY, a chapelry in Alderbury parish, Wilts; near the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, 5 miles E of Salisbury. It has a post office under Salisbury. Real property, with Pitton, £2, 921. Rated property of F. alone, £695. Pop., 241. Houses, 62. This was the birthplace of Sir Stephen Fox, the founder of Chelsea hospital, and ancestor of the noble families of Ilchester and Holland. ...


The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Alderbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church was built by Sir Stephen Fox, and has a tablet to Charles James Fox; and the hospital contains a portrait of Sir Stephen, by Lely, and a monument to Henry Thomas, Earl of Ilchester, by the younger Westmacott.

Farley through time

Farley is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farley, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21414

Date accessed: 16th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farley ".