Place:


Ewloe  Flintshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ewloe like this:

EWLOE TOWN and EWLOE WOOD, two townships in Hawarden parish, Flint; 1¾ mile NW of Hawarden and 2 WSW of Queen's Ferry r. station. Acres of both, 2, 299. Real property of E. T., £3, 455; of which £350 are in mines. Pop., 1, 252. Houses, 258. Real property of E. W., £1, 436; of which £591 are in mines-Pop., 513. ...


Houses, 103. Ewloe Castle is of great but unknown antiquity; was described, three centuries ago, by Leland, as "a ruinous castelet or pile;" stands in a deep wooded dingle, commanding three wooded glens; and comprises two parts, -an oblong tower, rounded at the sides, and defended by a strong wall, -and an oblong court, with remains of a circular tower. A large detachment of Henry II. army was surprised and defeated in Ewloe Wood, or Coed-Euloe, in 1157, by the sons of Owen Gwynedd.

Ewloe through time

Ewloe is now part of Flintshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Flintshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ewloe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ewloe in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21413

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ewloe ".