Place:


Eglwys Newydd  Cardiganshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eglwys Newydd like this:

EGLWYS-NEWYDD, a chapelry in Llanfihangel-y-Creuddyn parish, Cardigan; on the river Ystwyth, 14 miles ESE of Aberystwith r. station. Post town, Devil's Bridge, under Aberystwith. Acres, 15, 961. Real property, £6, 326; of which £4, 103 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 388; in 1861, 1, 796. ...


Houses, 342. The increase of population arose from the extension of lead mining. The chapelry is co-extensive with Llanfihangel-y-Creu-ddyn-Ucha township. Hafod Park here belonged to the Herbert family; passed, by marriage, to the family of Johnes; and afterwards passed, by purchase, first to the Duke of Newcastle, then to Henry Houghton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David. Value, £95. Patron, H. Houghton, Esq. The church was built in 1803, on the site of a previous decayed edifice; and contains a fine monument to a Johnes.

Eglwys Newydd through time

Eglwys Newydd is now part of Ceredigion district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ceredigion has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eglwys Newydd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eglwys Newydd, in Ceredigion and Cardiganshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21407

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eglwys Newydd ".