Place:


Edge Hill  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Edge Hill like this:

EDGE-HILL, a suburb and five chapelries in West Derby district, Lancashire. The suburb adjoins the E side of Liverpool; lies on the Liverpool and Manchester railway; includes a pleasant eminence near the road to Prescot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office† under Liverpool. ...


The chapelries are St. Mary, St. Stephen, St. Jude, St. Timothy, and St. Catherine: the two last constituted in 1862 and 1863. The first four are p. curacies, and St.is a vicarage, in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. M. and St. J., each £300; of St. S., £300;* of St. T., £200; of St. C., £230. Patron of St. M., J. Stewart, Esq.; of St. S., St. J., and St. C., Trustees; of St. T., not reported. The five churches are modern; the newest built in 1863. See Liverpool.

Edge Hill through time

Edge Hill is now part of Liverpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Liverpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Edge Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Edge Hill, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21406

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Edge Hill ".