Place:


Chalfont St Peter  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalfont St Peter like this:

CHALFONT-ST. PETER, a village and a parish in Amersham district, Bucks. The village stands on the Misbourn rivulet, 5 miles SSE of Amersham, and 6¼ E by N of Woburn-Green r. station; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post office under Slough. The parish comprises 4,717 acres. Real property, £7,335. ...


Pop., 1,344. Houses, 303. The property is divided among a few. Chalfont House was built by General Churchill, the brother-in-law of Horace Walpole; owed much of its original character to Walpole's taste; but has been much altered and improved; and is now the seat of J. Hibbert, Esq. A house called the Grange was for some time the residence of Judge Jeffreys. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £731.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is a brick edifice of 1726, highly improved by Street in 1854; and contains three good brasses. The p. curacy of Gerrard's Cross is a separate benefice. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £25.

Chalfont St Peter through time

Chalfont St Peter is now part of Chiltern district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chiltern has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chalfont St Peter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalfont St Peter, in Chiltern and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2140

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chalfont St Peter ".