Place:


Whitley  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitley like this:

WHITLEY, a township in Cullercoates chapelry, Tynemouth parish, Northumberland; on the coast, and on the Blyth and Tyne railway, 2½ miles N of North Shields. It contains a neat village of its own name, A handsome seaside terrace, and a reservoir of the North Shields water-works; and has a post-office under North Shields, and a r. station. Acres, 539. Pop., 419. Houses, 80. The manor belonged to Tynemouth priory. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are worked.

Whitley through time

Whitley is now part of North Tyneside district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Tyneside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitley, in North Tyneside and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/214

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitley ".