Place:


Duncow  Dumfries Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Duncow like this:

Duncow, a village, a burn, and a barony of Kirkmahoe parish, Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire. The village, on the burn's left bank, 5 miles N by W of Dumfries, took its name from a round hill or 'dun' adjacent to it, and retained down to 1804 a large stone marking the site of the cottage in which James V. ...


is said to have passed the night preceding his visit to Amisfield. It now has a post office under Dumfries, a public school, and a parochial library. The burn, rising within the S border of Closeburn parish, runs 8 miles south-by-eastward through Kirkmahoe parish, and falls into the Nith 3 miles N by W of Dumfries. The barony, mainly consisting of the burn's basin, belonged to the Comyns, the ancient competitors for the Scottish crown. Forfeited by them, along with the neighbouring barony of Dalswinton, and given to the Boyds, at the accession of Robert Bruce, it afterwards passed to the Maxwells, Earls of Nithsdale, and about 1796 was sold in sections to various purchasers.—Ord. Sur., sh. 9, 1863.

Duncow through time

Duncow is now part of Dumfries and Galloway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Dumfries and Galloway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Duncow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Duncow, in Dumfries and Galloway and Dumfries Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21395

Date accessed: 21st February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Duncow ".