Place:


Bow Brickhill  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bow Brickhill like this:

BRICKHILL (Bow),-a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands near Watling-street, the river Ouzel, the Grand Junction canal, and the Bletchley and Bedford railway, 2 miles E of Fenny Stratford station. The parish comprises 1,380 acres; and its Post Town is Fenny-Stratford, under Bletchley station. ...


Real property, £2,805. Pop., 546. Houses, 127. The property is divided among a few. The surface includes Bow-Brickhill eminence, 683 feet high; and is partly common. Some of the inhabitants are lace and straw-plait makers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £370.* Patron, Queen's College, Cambridge. The church stands conspicuously on a steep eminence above the village. Charities, £32.

Bow Brickhill through time

Bow Brickhill is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bow Brickhill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bow Brickhill, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2138

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bow Brickhill ".