Place:


Cautley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cautley like this:

CAUTLEY, a hamlet and a chapelry in Sedbergh parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The hamlet lies among grand mountain scenery, adjacent to Westmoreland, in the vicinity of Sedbergh. A waterfall here, called Cautley Spout, makes three descents, of aggregately about 860 feet, between such screens, precipices, and cliffs, that those on one side can be scaled only by much care and effort, and those on the other not at all.—The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Dowbiggin; was constituted in 1853; and bears the name of Cautley and Dowbiggin. ...


Post Town, Sedbergh, under Kendal. Pop., 276. Houses, 55. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £55. Patron, the Vicar of Sedbergh.

Cautley through time

Cautley is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cautley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cautley, in South Lakeland and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21367

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cautley ".