Place:


Birgham  Berwickshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Birgham like this:

Birgham or Brigham, a village in Eccles parish, Berwickshire, 330 yards from the Tweed, opposite Carham in Northumberland, and 3½ miles W by S of Coldstream. It has a post office under that town, a public school, and the graveyard of a pre-Reformation chapel, remains of which were standing 70 years ago. ...


A meeting of William the Lyon and some of his nobles and prelates with an ecclesiastical envoy from Henry II. of England took place at Birgham in 1188, to resist the alleged supremacy of the English over the Scottish Church; and a convention of the Scottish Estates, to consider the proposed marriage between the Princess Margaret of Scotland and Prince Edward of England, also was held here in 1289. It was followed, on 18 July of nextyear, by the signing here of an international deed, the treaty of Brigham, which minutely provided for the independence of Scotland. ` Go to Birgham ' is equivalent, in the surrounding country, to 'Go to Banff,' or'Bath,' or 'Jericho' elsewhere.

Birgham through time

Birgham is now part of Scottish Borders district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scottish Borders has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birgham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birgham, in Scottish Borders and Berwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21343

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birgham ".