Place:


Berriedale  Caithness

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Berriedale like this:

Berriedale, a village and a quoad sacra parish in Latheron, SE Caithness. The village is finely situated on the northern bank of the confluent Berriedale and Langwell Waters, within 3 furlongs of the rock-bound coast, and 10 miles NE of Helmsdale station. It has a post office under Wick, an Established church (1826; 312 sittings), and a Free church; near it are Langwell House (Duke of Portland) and the ruins of two old castles. ...


In one of these, according to tradition, dwelt William Sutherland, alias 'Big William the son of Hector,' who, starting on a raid to the Orkneys with one of the Earls of Caithness, and knowing that he was fated never to return, lay down on the greensward above Berriedale Inn, near the churchyard, and there had the length of his body cut out in the form of a grave, which to this day retains the name of the 'Long Grave,' and measures 9 feet 5 inches. To the Sinclair Earls of Caithness Berriedale has given the title of Baron since 1455. The quoad sacra parish, with a stipend of £132, was constituted in 1846, and had a pop. of 1264 in 1851, of 1194 in 1871, and of 1284 in 1881.

Berriedale through time

Berriedale is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berriedale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berriedale, in Highland and Caithness | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21338

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berriedale ".