Place:


Aberdovey  Merionethshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aberdovey like this:

ABERDOVEY, or Aberdyfi, a seaport village and a chapelry in Towyn parish, Merioneth. The village stands on the Dovey estuary, adjacent to the Llwyngwrill railway, 10 miles N of Aberystwith; has a station on the railway, a post office‡ under Shrewsbury, a good hotel, and a few respectable lodging-houses; and is a watering-place and a seat of petty sessions. ...


The Dovey here is about a mile wide, and is crossed by a ferry to the Borth sands, leading toward Aberystwith. The chapelry includes the village, and was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1,186. Houses, 267. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £90. Patrons, Trustees.

Aberdovey through time

Aberdovey is now part of Gwynedd district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gwynedd has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberdovey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberdovey, in Gwynedd and Merionethshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21322

Date accessed: 16th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aberdovey ".