Place:


Sutton Courtenay  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton Courtenay like this:

SUTTON-COURTNEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands near the Thames, 2¼ miles S of Abingdon r. station; and has a post-office under Abingdon.—The parish includes Appleford chapelry and Sutton-Wick township, and comprises 2,934 acres. ...


Real property, £11,026. Pop., 1,581. Houses, 264. The property is much subdivided. The manor house is a curious edifice of the time of Edward III., and belonged to the Abbots of Abingdon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is of ancient date. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £80 a year, alms houses with £63, and other charities £52.—The sub-district contains 5 parishes. Acres, 10,377. Pop., 2,975. Houses, 889.

Sutton Courtenay through time

Sutton Courtenay is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton Courtenay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton Courtenay, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2131

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton Courtenay ".