Place:


Middleton in Chirbury  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Middleton in Chirbury like this:

MIDDLETON, a township in Chirbury parish, and a chapelry partly also in Church-Stoke parish, Salop. The township lies under Stapeley Hill, adjacent to Montgomeryshire, 5 miles ESE of Forden r. station, and 7 NNW of Bishops-Castle. The chapelry includes also the townships of Priest-Weston, Rorington, and Wilmington; and was constituted in 1845. ...


Post town, Chirbury, Salop. Pop., 740. Houses, 145. Pop. of the Chirbury portion, 604. Houses, 119. The manor belongs to Miss Stokes. Stapeley Hill is crowned by an imperfect Druidical circle, 120 feet in circuit; several of the stones of which are still standing. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £132.* Patron, the Vicar of Chirbury. The church is a neat edifice, with a bell-turret. There is a national school.

Middleton in Chirbury through time

Middleton in Chirbury is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middleton in Chirbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middleton in Chirbury in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21300

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middleton in Chirbury ".