Place:


Seghill  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seghill like this:

SEGHILL, or Sedgehill, a village and a township in Earsdon parish, and a chapelry partly also in St. Andrew parish, Northumberland. The village stands near the Blythe and Tyne railway, 6½ miles N N E of Newcastle; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Cramlington, Northumberland. ...


The township comprises 1, 403 acres. Pop., 1,801. Houses, 350. The manor belonged anciently to Tynemouth priory; went to the Mitfords, who built a castle here; and passed, through the Allgoods and others, to the Blakes. The chapelry includes also part of Seaton-Delaval and Cramlington townships, and was constituted in 1846. Pop., 4, 588. Houses, 920. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a Church school.

Seghill through time

Seghill is now part of Blyth Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blyth Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seghill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seghill, in Blyth Valley and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/213

Date accessed: 24th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seghill ".