Place:


Penkelly  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penkelly like this:

PENKELLY, a hamlet and a hundred in Breconshire. The hamlet is in Llanvigan parish; lies 4¼ miles S E of Brecon; and has remains of a castle which belonged to the Mortimers, the Despencers, the Devereuxs, the Herberts, and others. Pop., 375. The hundred contains Llanvigan parish, eleven other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 65, 672. Pop. in 1851, 6,056; in 1861, 6, 465. Houses, 1, 353.

Penkelly through time

Penkelly is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Penkelly itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penkelly, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21285

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Penkelly ".