Place:


Battle  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Battle like this:

BATTLE, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the river Yscar, 3 miles NW of Brecon r. station. Post Town, Brecon. Acres, 1,544. Real property, £1,398. Pop., 118. Houses, 30. The surface is diversified, and commands fine views. The manor belonged to the priory of Brecon. Here was the scene either of the battle between Robert Fitzhamon and Rhys ap Tudor, or the battle at the invasion of Brecknockshire by Bernard Newmarch. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David. Value, £73. Patron, Col. L. V. Watkins The church is a low building, situated on an eminence.

Battle through time

Battle is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Battle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Battle, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2127

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Battle ".