Place:


Whitton  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitton like this:

WHITTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Twickenham parish, Middlesex; on the loop-line of the South-western railway, 2 miles SSW of Hounslow. It has a post-office under Hounslow, and a r. station jointly with Hounslow. Pop., about 730. W. Park House was built by the third Duke of Argyle, and became the residence of Sir W. ...


Chambers, the architect of Somerset House. W. Place was originally the greenhouse in W. Park grounds; and is now a villa, belonging to the Gostlings. Kneller Hall was the seat of Sir G. Kneller; passed to the Calverts; and is now a military music college. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £101. Patron, the Vicar of Twickenham. The church was built in 1862. There is a good library.

Whitton through time

Whitton is now part of Richmond upon Thames district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmond upon Thames has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitton, in Richmond upon Thames and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21204

Date accessed: 16th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitton ".