Place:


Prudhoe  Northumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Prudhoe like this:

PRUDHOE, two townships and a village in Ovingbam parish, Northumberland. The townships are Prudhoe and Prudhoe-Castle; lie on the river Tyne and on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, adjacent to Durhamshire, 10½ miles W of Newcastle; and have a station on the railway, and a post-office designated Prudhoe Station, Northumberland. ...


The village stands about a mile S of the station, and has a post-office under Prudhoe Station. Acres of the townships, 1, 440 and 719. Pop. in 1851, 386 and 102; in 1861, 471 and 490. Houses, 79 and 89. P. manor belonged anciently to the Umfravilles, belongs now to the Duke of Northumberland, and gives him the title of Baron. P. Castle was built by an early one of the Umfravilles; withstood a siege, in 1174, by Williamthe Lion, King of Scotland; stands on a rock 60 feetabove the level of the Tyne; occupies, with its garden, about 3 acres; is defended, on the N, by an outer wall, rising sheer from the cliff; is guarded also by squarebastions, and protected on the S by a deep fosse; wentextensively to ruin as early as the time of Elizabeth; and now shows chiefly a lofty ruined keep, and a modernresidence of the Duke's steward. Coal mining is carriedon; and the increase of it gave rise to the increase ofpop.

Prudhoe through time

Prudhoe is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Prudhoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Prudhoe, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/212

Date accessed: 24th October 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Prudhoe ".