Place:


Allerton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allerton like this:

ALLERTON, a township in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles WNW of Bradford. It has a post office under Bradford; and it includes the villages of Allerton-Lanes, Fairweather, Green, Upper Green, Lee, Moor-House-Moor, Pikely, Harrop-Edge, and Crosky Hall. Acres, 1,970. Real property, with Wilsden, £14,536,-of which £1,206 are in quarries, and £762 in mines. Pop., 2,014. Houses, 433. Most of the inhabitants are employed in manufactories and collieries. A chapelry for Wilsden-with-Allerton was constituted in 1828; and there are three dissenting chapels.

Allerton through time

Allerton is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Allerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allerton, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21162

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Allerton ".