In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yspytty like this:
YSPYTTY, a village in Carnarvon, and a parish and a sub-district partly also in Denbigh; but all in the district of Llanrwst. The village stands on the river Conway, 10 miles S by E of Llanrwst r. station; had anciently a Knights Templars preceptory, founded in 1159, by Ivan ap Rhys, and used as a hospitium for travellers; was afterwards the headquarters of a band of robbers, who devastated all the surrounding country till put down by Meredydd ap Evan; is sometimes called distinctively Yspytty-Evan; and has a post-office under Conway, and six annual fairs. ...
The parish contains Eidda township in Carnarvon and Tirevan and Trebrys townships in Denbigh. Acres of the Denbigh townships, 4,768. Real property of the entire parish, with Trefeiliew and Tre-wern, £5,221. Pop. of the parish, 869. Houses, 179. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £158.* Patron, Lord Penrhyn. The church was recently rebuilt. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, a new school-room, and slightly endowed alms houses.The sub-district contains four parishes. Pop., 2,935. Houses, 596.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Yspytty has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Conwy. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Yspytty and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yspytty, in Conwy and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Yspytty".