Place:


West Hythe  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Hythe like this:

HYTHE (WEST), a parish in Romney-Marsh district, Kent; on the coast, 2¼ miles S of Westonhanger r. station, and 2½ W of Hythe. Post town, Hythe. Acres. 1, 423; of which 170 are water. Pop., 130. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. A village or town here was, more properly than Hythe, the original cinque port of Hythe; was a place of commerce and resort in the time of Edward the Confessor; and ceased to be a port and a town in consequence of the recession of the sea. ...


The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Lympne, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church has long been in ruins. property, £591. Pop., 69. Houses, 17. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

West Hythe through time

West Hythe is now part of Shepway district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shepway has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Hythe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Hythe, in Shepway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21136

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Hythe ".