In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upton like this:
UPTON, a parish in Eton district, Bucks; adjacent to Slough r. station. It contains Chalvey hamlet, and parts of Slough and Salthill. Post town, Slough. Acres, 1,950. Real property, £19,799; of which £200 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,573; in 1861, 4,688. Houses, 843. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Oxford. The old church is Norman, and was recently restored. The new church is a plain brick edifice, and was built in 1837. A chapel of ease is at Chalvey, and was built in 1861. There are an Independent chapel of 1853, a Wesleyan chapel of 1847, a mechanics' institute, a reading room, national schools, a British school, and Eton workhouse.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Upton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Slough. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Upton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upton, in Slough and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upton".