Place:


Gawsworth  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gawsworth like this:

GAWSWORTH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Macclesfield district, Cheshire. The village stands near the Grand Trunk canal and the North Staffordshire railway, 3½ miles SW by S of Macclesfield; and is an ancient place, with some old houses. The parish comprises 5, 442 acres. Post town, Macclesfield. ...


Real property, £7, 038; of which £62 are in quarries. Pop., 713. Houses, 118. The manor belonged at the conquest to Earl Ranulph; passed to the Bigods; was long held by the Fittons; and belongs now to the Earl of Harrington. Gawsworth Hall is a seat of the Earl. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £737.* Patron, the Earl of Harrington. The church is a handsome structure, with a pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Fittons. There are a national school, and charities £36.—The sub-district contains also five townships of Prestbury parish, and one of Astbury. Acres, 16, 854. Pop., 3, 118. Houses, 587.

Gawsworth through time

Gawsworth is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gawsworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gawsworth, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2112

Date accessed: 16th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gawsworth ".