Place:


Fyfield  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fyfield like this:

FYFIELD, a parish and a sub-district in Abingdon district, Berks. The parish lies near the river Isis, at the boundary with Oxford, 5 miles W by N of Abingdon town and r. station; and contains the hamlets of Netherton and Wick. Post town, Marcham, under Abingdon. Acres, 1, 620. Real property, £2, 537. ...


Pop., 439. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. An hospital was founded here before the time of Henry VI. Limestone is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £125. Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is good; and contains the tomb and effigies of Sir John Golafre, popularly called Gulliver. Charities, £23. A grand elm-tree is here, 36 feet in circuit, described by Arnold as a resort of

Maidens, who from the distant hamlets come,
To dance round Fyfield elm in May.

The sub-district contains four parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 7, 963. Pop., 1,861. Houses, 426.

Fyfield through time

Fyfield is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fyfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fyfield, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2110

Date accessed: 20th August 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fyfield ".