In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stock Gaylard like this:
STOCK-GAYLAND, a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset; 4½ miles W by S of Sturminster r. station. Post town, Sherborne. Acres, 849. Rated property, £1,044. Pop., 50. Houses, 9. The manor belongs to the Rev. H. F. Yeatman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £194. Patron, the Rev. H. F. Yeatman. The church is ancient but good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stock Gaylard has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stock Gaylard and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stock Gaylard in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stock Gaylard".