Place:


Stamford Hill  Middlesex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stamford Hill like this:

STAMFORD-HILL, a chapelry in Hackney-St. John parish, Middlesex; on Ermine-street, around Upper Clapton, near the North London and the Great Eastern railways, 3½ miles NNE of St. Paul's, London. It was constituted in 1828; it has a post-office of Upper Clapton under London, NE; and it abounds with villas, and is a rich and healthy metropolitan suburb. Pop. in 1851, 5,483. Houses, 999. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £207. Patron, the Rector of Hackney-St. John. The church was built in 1850, at a cost of £8,700.

Stamford Hill through time

Stamford Hill is now part of Hackney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hackney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stamford Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stamford Hill, in Hackney and Middlesex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21092

Date accessed: 14th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stamford Hill ".