Place:


Roehampton  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roehampton like this:

ROEHAMPTON, a village and a chapelry in Putney parish, Surrey. The village stands near Richmond park, 1 mile S of Barnes r. station, and 1½ W S W of Putney; and has a post-office under London, S W. The chapelry was constituted in 1862. Pop. in 1861, 974. Houses, 153. R. House is the seat of the Earl of Leven; was rebuilt in 1710; and has a dining-room ceilingpainted by Sir J. ...


Thornhill. R. Grove was rebuilt about 1777 by Lord Huntingfield; and is now the seat of Mrs. Lyne Stephens. There are other good residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of London. Value, £250. Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1842, and enlarged in 1862; and is in the early English style. A chapel is in the grounds of R. Grove. There are two parochial schools.

Roehampton through time

Roehampton is now part of Wandsworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wandsworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roehampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roehampton, in Wandsworth and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21062

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roehampton ".