Place:


Aberysgyr  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aberysgyr like this:

ABERYSCIR, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; 2½ miles W by N of Brecon r. station. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 1,918. Real property, £1,224. Pop., 125. Houses, 26. The Yscir river falls here into the Usk; and has, on the right bank, the parish church, surrounded with yew,-on the left bank a rectangular camp and several ramparts, together with substructions of walls, supposed to have been a station of the Roman general Ostorins Scapula, preceded by the British town Banninm. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £136. Patron, the Rev. W. L. Joues. The church belonged anciently to Malvern priory, and is a poor structure.

Aberysgyr through time

Aberysgyr is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aberysgyr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aberysgyr, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2106

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aberysgyr ".