Place:


Northwood  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northwood like this:

NORTHWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Hanley township, Stoke-upon-Trent parish, Stafford. The village is suburban to Hanley town; and shares in that town's connexion with the potteries, in its general trade, and in its railway facilities. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Post-town, Hanley, under Stoke-upon-Trent. Pop. in 1861, 6,099. Houses, 1, 208. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are national schools.

Northwood through time

Northwood is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northwood, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21035

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northwood ".