Place:


Normacot  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Normacot like this:

NORMICOTT, a liberty in Stone parish, and a chapelry partly also in Trentham parish, Stafford. The liberty-lies among the Potteries, contiguous to the S W side of Longton, near Longton r. station; contains Meir-Lane, Meir-Furnace, and Meir-Heath; and carries on the manufacture of earthenware and porcelain. ...


Post-town, Longton, under Stoke-on-Trent. Real property, £2, 521; of which £43 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 961; in 1861, 1,011. Houses, 194. The manor belongs to the Duke of Sutherland; and there are water-works, formed at the Duke's expense. The chapelry excludes part of the liberty; and was constituted in 1852. Pop. in 1861, 1,097. Houses, 204. Pop. of the Stone portion, 930. Houses, 177. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £122.* Patron, the Duke of Sutherland. The church was built in 1847; and is a stone edifice, with a bell-turret. There are chapels for Wesleyans and New Connexion Methodists, and a national school.

Normacot through time

Normacot is now part of Stoke on Trent district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stoke on Trent has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Normacot itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Normacot, in Stoke on Trent and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21032

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Normacot ".