Place:


Newport  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newport like this:

NEWPORT, a suburban village and a chapelry in Bishops-Tawton parish, Devon. The village is suburban to Barnstaple, on its S side, near the r. station; has a post-office under Barnstaple; was a borough, governed by a mayor, in the time of Henry VI.; and had, from theyear 1294, a market and a fair which now are obsolete. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1847. Real property, £3, 784. Pop., 1,027. Houses, 212. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Bishops-Tawton. The church stands at the top of the village, and is a very plain edifice. There is a national school.

Newport through time

Newport is now part of North Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newport itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newport in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/21030

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newport ".